Healing from Eczema Naturally - Overview
When you are trying to heal from any degenerative condition, think of your body as a whole entity where attention should be given to it nutritionally, physically, emotionally and mentally.
This article will outline a nutritional program (your diet plus whole food supplements) based on the logic that the real magic bullets for reversing eczema and gaining health and vitality are in nutritional components found in foods, not pharmaceuticals (chemical, herbal or botanical formulas). We now know scientifically that nutrients found in foods can help prevent nearly all the common degenerative diseases that strike us today.
The recommendations contained in this article will help you properly sustain, accelerate and heighten your health. If you begin now to make significant changes in your lifestyle, by adopting the following superfood diet strategies, you can reverse eczema!
Before & After
Whether you enjoy eating meat, are on a vegetarian diet, a lactose reduced diet, a vegan diet, whether you are a committed junk-food eater, follow a macrobiotic diet, an athletic performance enhancing diet, or a diet of your own creation, I want to show you how to use your diet as an effective natural aid for reversing eczema. So, let the journey begin. May the included information help you lead an eczema free life as it has helped me.
A piece of good advice to keep in mind is to begin taking and increasing any of the recommended supplements slowly. Follow a schedule for increasing the supplements in small increments. For example, if what is recommended is five capsules a day, then start with one capsule for three days and then increase to 2 capsules and so on. Following are my recommendations of supplements and diet to help your body heal from eczema naturally.
Supplements to take the first thing upon waking:
- With eczema the health of your intestinal tract is of the utmost importance. You need to take large amounts of friendly bacteria.
I recommend you take 10 capsules each of acidophilus and bifidus. By doing this you're sending a good amount of friendly bacteria to your intestinal tract. Take these capsules first thing in the morning and remember to always start slowly. When the eczema is gone, continue to take 3 each of acidophilus and bifidus. ( This is a "must do" for the kind of stressful and polluted modern lifestyle we all live in.)
15 minutes after you take the friendly bacteria, take 5 wheat sprouts mixed with red algae and blue green algae. However, if you have never been on this product, I recommend that you don't include it in your start up program but do consider including it at a much later date. Wheat Sprouts and Algae is a whole food and powerful full spectrum antioxidant.
Your shower in the morning:
- Reduce your showers to once a day. In fact, once a day is too much water hitting your eczema. If you have the infected type of eczema find a way to cover the infected areas and avoid getting water on them while you shower.
- Don't use soap on your skin (except on private parts). Use a luffa to rub your skin gently to remove dead skin.
- Use a shower water filter to protect your skin from chlorine.
Breakfast should be a smoothie made up of fruits . Use coconut water from green coconuts as the base for your smoothies instead of water and also include its meat (great fiber). If you can't find coconuts, use spring water and 3 tablespoons of organic unheated coconut oil. Make sure to include a kiwi (high in Vitamin C), an apple (excellent fiber) and see if you can find grapes with seeds (seeds are excellent for skin health). Add other types of your favorite fruits such as papayas, mangoes, bananas, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc.
- To your morning smoothie add 3 capsules of a whole food supplement made of the following foods: bee pollen, Indian Noni, turmeric, wheat grass juice, wild crafted blue green algae, and green tea powder. These whole food supplements have excellent properties for skin health such as the Noni fruit.
- Add a total of 15 wild crafted blue green algae capsules (open the capsules and pour the powder into the smoothie). I consider wild crafted blue green algae to be one of the most important supplements for providing trace minerals to assist the body in healing itself from eczema .
- Add 5 capsules of a full spectrum friendly bacteria supplement to your smoothie mix. One of the best wide-spectrum friendly bacteria supplements is micro-blended with fructo-oligosaccharides. Following are its ingredients: Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus salivarius, Streptococcus faecium, Streptococcus thermophilus, Acerola and Rose Hips blend, wild crafted blue green algae, Jerusalem Artichoke, Lipase, Amylase, Protease, and Cellulase.
Again start with one capsule and increase the amounts slowly.
- Add to your smoothie two tablespoons of hemp oil which is an excellent source of essential fatty acids. Make sure you buy organically grown hemp oil that is cold pressed.
Supplements with Lunch and Dinner:
- Take 2 wide-spectrum enzymes with each meal ( plant based enzymes mixed with fruit based enzymes and micro blended with cayenne, fennel and ginger.) In addition, take 4 plant based enzymes, micro blended with wild crafted blue green algae, on an empty stomach a few times during the day, between meals, so it may work to reduce the swelling and pain of any infected lesions of eczema as well as reduce itching.
Eat one avocado a day to increase your intake of essential fatty acids.
Here are some ideas for some healthy lunch meals :
- Salmon and vegetables.
- Crabs and vegetables.
- Oysters and vegetables
- Brown rice and vegetables.
- Yams and vegetables.
- Sweet potatoes and vegetables.
- Boiled eggs and vegetables.
- Soft raw goat cheese and vegetables.
- Ezekiel or Manna breads (sprouted bread) with avocado, tomato, cilantro, and olives.
- Vegetable soup and Ezekiel bread or salad.
- Large salad with an assortment of vegetables with added raw nuts or soft raw goat cheese. Make your own fresh salad dressing, ( my favorite recipe is a mix of raw almond butter, apple cider vinegar, fresh lemon, tamari sauce, maple syrup, cumin powder, garlic powder, and some fresh assortment of herbs).
- Steamed green beans with boiled potatoes and a small salad.
- Miso soup, brown rice and steamed vegetables.
- Sauted mushrooms in coconut oil with tamari sauce for taste mixed with brown rice and a small salad.
- Mashed potatoes using coconut milk and butter, with sauted mushrooms in tamari sauce and a small salad.
- Lentil soup with a salad.
- It is always best to end your day with a simple nutritious meal.
Veggie juice, mostly from dark green vegetables (parsley, kale, cucumber, zucchini, celery and cilantro) is an excellent way to support your liver which will be working hard to detoxify your body as you sleep. A glass of vegetable juice at night is the most important meal to help you heal from eczema quickly. Make sure you drink a 12 to 20 oz. dark green veggie juice every night.
Some recommended vegetables for your veggie juice:
- Celery - two stalks. Celery gives the body a natural diuretic effect and aids in the elimination of carbon dioxide from the body. Celery's sodium content will neutralize acid ash ( residue of acidic foods ) in the body.
- Parsley - 1/4 bunch. Extremely high in nutrients. An excellent cleanser and potentiator of all bodily functions.
- Carrots - Two medium size. Don't cut off the top part of the carrot (leave the hat part, but discard the green shoots because most of the phytochemicals are located there.)
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch. Has the ability to remove mercury, lead, cadmium and other heavy metals from the body.
- Kale - 2 to 3 leaves. A very nutrient rich vegetable. One of the best cancer fighting vegetables found on our planet. Kale is the richest of all leafy greens in carotenoids ( powerful anticancer agents ). Kale's calcium content is easily assimilated, making it a wonder food for arthritis, osteoporosis, bone loss disorders and skin health.
- Cucumber - 1/2 cucumber. A great diuretic ( helps remove excess fluids from the body because it promotes urination ). Excellent as a blood cleanser. ( If you burn your skin, cut a cucumber open and apply it directly for relief from pain.)
- Apple - to sweeten your juice.
Add and alternate, in very moderate amounts, to your basic vegetable juice every night: 1/4 beet, some cabbage, zucchini, bell pepper bok choy, etc.
If you are still hungry after this drink, eat some raw (organic whenever possible) nuts/seeds. Pine nuts ( highest protein content of all nuts ), walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds ( unsalted and raw ), and soaked almonds.
Sometimes, you might come back from work too tired to juice, we suggest you make a bowl of salad, add raw nuts and toss. Make sure you make your own fresh salad dressing.
Some healthy recommended snacks:
- Fresh or dehydrated fruits (avoid dehydrated fruits if you are diabetic).
- Freshly cut up vegetables like cucumber or carrots.
- Unsalted nuts or seeds.
Supplements at bed time:
- Infections from the growth of candida albican is common among eczema patients. Candida albicans is a type of yeast-like fungus that can cause weakening of the immune system and infection known as candidiasis. Garlic is known to be the ultimate herb for fighting candida albicans. Some call it the ultimate antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral medicinal food. Garlic is best used fresh. Raw organic garlic destroys bacteria and boosts immune function.
Garlic is high in sulfur, which is one of the most important minerals needed by your body to do its detoxification work.
To maximize garlic's superlative antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-parasitical activity, use it in the following way. Before going to sleep at night, finely chop 2 cloves of garlic. Put the chopped garlic on a tablespoon and swallow it with water. Do not chew it. There will be absolutely no garlic odor on your breath if you do not chew the garlic.
Your first bowel movement after starting will have a garlic odor. This is a wonderful sign that this superfood was active in your GI tract while you were sleeping and regenerating. Garlic tirelessly patrols your intestinal tract all night long, as a "toxic-garbage cop" helping to neutralize, dismantle, and eliminate bacteria, viruses, parasites and carcinogens.
Build up to 3 cloves every night. Do not eat raw garlic more than 2 weeks in a row .
- Take four plant based enzymes, micro blended with wild crafted blue green algae at bed time to reduce the swelling and itching that takes place mostly in the middle of the night. If you find it hard to sleep from severe itching, continue to take more enzymes throughout the night.
- Best exercise for getting the lymphatic system to work better is jumping on a rebounder 15 to 20 minutes a day. Walking a few miles a day. Avoid swimming because of the
added chemicals in swimming pools.
Creams and lotions:
- I've experimented with Shea butter, cocoa butter, black cumin oil and unheated coconut oil as topical creams/lotions. Experiment with all four to find what suits you best. Shea butter will cake over the skin and so will the cocoa butter but they are both good moisturizers. Unheated, organic coconut oil is very effective in combating infected skin and nourishing it too, because it is high in Vitamin E (use only the unheated type, virgin oil). Black Cumin Oil seems to work also, as it is very high in antioxidant properties and has a soothing effect on the skin. Use these topical creams and oils ONLY IF YOU MUST. Otherwise, leave the skin alone and if possible don't apply anything at all.
Miscellaneous helpful tips:
- It is very important that you learn about the detoxification process. With eczema, as you improve your diet and take the previously recommended supplements, your skin condition will get worse initially. To understand the detoxification process, please read the following book: Detoxification and Healing by Sidney Baker, M.D. It is one of the best books written on the subject of detoxification. If you want to read articles on the subject of detoxification, email us as we have many articles on this important subject in our resource library.
- Trust the fact that when you give your body the best of nutrients through quality, organic foods and whole food supplements, your body will be working its self-healing miracles day and night. Remember, the body is marvelously designed to regulate and repair itself (it knows exactly what to do). Therefore, relax, take walks, enjoy life, don't work too hard, and smell the roses along the way of every day's life journey and know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Have faith and begin the journey of feeding your body properly so it'll give you what you want; great looking skin and vibrant health.